Is this course for me?
Do you admire beautiful windows adorned with elegant drapes? Would you like to learn all the stitches and techniques required to make pencil pleat curtains, all to a professional standard?
Jacqueline will share the tricks of the trade.
Who will be teaching me?
Jacqueline is creative and talented, with over 20 years of teaching experience. She owns JSInteriors and works as an Interior Designer in Yorkshire with mostly private clients on whole room schemes and holiday cottages.
What will I learn?
This busy 2-day workshop will teach you the techniques and stitches, to make bespoke handmade lined and/or interlined pencil pleat curtains. You will learn how to measure and cut your fabric to maximize on pattern and detail, construct neat, true mitred corners, accurately position and secure interlining, apply the correct stitch, tension and method to complete hand-finished samples. During the workshop you will complete a half-meter curtain drop using all the techniques required to complete larger projects.
Some hand and machine sewing experience will be useful, however Jacqueline and her assistant will provide oodles of encouragement and support, therefore this course is suitable for both the beginner and more experienced, enthusiastic sewer.
COURSE PROGRAMME – small group & retreat workshops
- Discussion of suitable face fabrics, linings (including blackout options) and interlinings.
- Mitred corners, false/true. Produce a sample.
- Pattern matching, does and don’ts. Have a go.
- Things to consider before cutting into your fabric.
- Measuring and cutting your face fabric.
- Measuring and cutting and prepping your lining.
- Inserting interlining and pennyweights.
- Inserting your lining.
- Daisy chains.
- Completing your sample with a pencil pleat heading.
- Estimating fabric quantities for larger projects, plain/patterned fabrics.
- Discussions regarding suppliers for professional materials.
Course runs each day from 10:am – 5pm, with a break for lunch +/- 1pm – 2pm
What should I bring?
All course fees are inclusive of specialist materials, training notes, refreshments and a light lunch.
You will need to bring:
1m Face Fabric
- Any fabric of your choice suitable for making curtains and blinds.
- We recommend not using upholstery fabric, delicate fabrics or fabrics with a loose weave as these can cause dynamics that may want to be avoided when making your first cushions.
Thread to match your face fabric
- There will be some places where matching thread will be essential for a neat finish
1m of lining
- We recommend 100% cotton.
1m of interlining
- We recommend 100% cotton
Personal sewing Kit
- All specialist materials will be provided but it’s nice to have your own scissors and needles etc…
- We have a couple of sewing machines available, but do bring your own if you wish.