Is this course for me?
Do you look longingly at sofas beautifully adorned with an ensemble of scatter cushions? Would you like to discover how to make buttons, bias piping, insert zips and tackling luxurious trimmings, all to a professional standard? Come and join our bespoke scatter cushion course.
Jacqueline will share the tricks of the trade.
What will I learn?
This busy 2-day workshop will teach you the techniques and stitches, to make bespoke designed scrumptious scatter cushions, including pattern matching, handmade buttons, piping, and dealing with the dynamics of trimmings. You will learn how to measure and cut your fabric to maximize on pattern and detail, three options on how-to insert a zip. During the workshop you will complete at least 2 cushions, one with piped edging and another with fancy trimming.
Who will be teaching me?
Jacqueline is creative and talented, with over 20 years of teaching experience. She owns JSInteriorsUK and works as an Interior Designer in Yorkshire with mostly private clients on whole room schemes and holiday cottages.
Bespoke scatter cushions are complimentary to bespoke curtains, blinds and handmade lampshades so do check out other upcoming courses and weekend workshop retreats offered by JSInteriorsUK.
Some hand and machine sewing experience will be useful, however Jacqueline and her assistant will provide oodles of encouragement and support, therefore this course is suitable for both the beginner and more experienced, enthusiastic sewer.
- Discussion of suitable fabrics and trimmings.
- Scatter cushions styles and shapes
- Cushions pad options
- Closure options, buttons and/or zips
- Cutting face fabric to maximize on pattern and detail, including the placement of pattern for a 16”x12” cushion.
- Using bias on fabrics, cutting and joining bias strips.
- Constructing piping.
- Attaching piping to the cushion face and mastering a piping join.
- Completing the cushion including inserting a hidden zip.
- Handmade buttons, does and don’ts.
- Selecting appropriate trimmings.
- 3 options for inserting zips
- Cutting face fabric to maximize on pattern and detail, including the placement of pattern for a 16”x16” cushion.
- Measuring, cutting and preparing trimming
- Complete second cushion
- Discussions regarding suppliers for professional materials
Course runs each day from 10:am – 5pm, with a break for lunch +/- 1pm – 2pm
What should I bring?
The course fees are inclusive of specialist materials, 2 duck feather cushion pads, training notes, refreshments and a light lunch.
You should Bring:
1m Face Fabric
- Any fabric of your choice suitable for making curtains and blinds.
- We recommend not using upholstery fabric, delicate fabrics or fabrics with a loose weave as these can cause dynamics that may want to be avoided when making your first cushions.
1m Contrast Face Fabric
- Again any fabric of your choice suitable for making curtains and blinds.
- Avoid upholstery fabric or fabrics with a loose weave as these can cause dynamics that may want to be avoided when making your first cushions.
- Should you choose a fabric such as dupion silk, we suggest also bringing 1/2m of cotton lining
Thread to match your face and contrast fabrics
- There will be some places where matching thread will be essential for a neat finish
2 x 18” (40cm) zips one each to match your face and contrast fabrics
- There will be some zips available to purchase at the workshop but colours will be limited
- It is important that your zip is 40cm or longer, the reason for this will become clear at the workshop.