Is this course for me?
Do you love elegant windows dressed with chic, neat bespoke Roman Blinds? Would you like to learn all the stitches and techniques required, all to a professional standard?
Jacqueline will share the tricks of the trade.
Who will be teaching me?
Jacqueline is creative and talented, with over 20 years of teaching experience. She owns JSInteriors and works as an Interior Designer in Yorkshire with mostly private clients on whole room schemes and holiday cottages.
What will I learn?
This busy 2-day workshop will teach you the techniques and stitches, to make bespoke handmade lined and/or interlined roman blinds. You will learn how to measure and cut your fabric to maximize on pattern and detail, construct neat rod pockets into lining, accurately position and secure interlining, apply the correct stitch, tension and method to complete hand finished samples. During the workshop you will complete at roman blind, using all the techniques required to complete larger projects.
Simple bespoke Roman Blinds are complimentary to bespoke curtains, handmade lampshades and scatter cushions so do check out other upcoming courses and weekend workshop retreats offered by JSInteriorsUK.
Some hand and machine sewing experience will be useful, however Jacqueline and her assistant will provide oodles of encouragement and support, therefore this course is suitable for both the beginner and more experienced, enthusiastic sewer.
About this Course Download
- Discussion of suitable face fabrics, linings (including blackout options) and interlinings.
- Discussion on various blind options.
- Measuring a window for a blind treatment
- Fabric estimation for roman blinds.
- Things to consider before cutting into your fabric.
- Measuring and cutting your face fabric.
- Calculations for roman blind rod pockets.
- Measuring and cutting and prepping your lining.
- Inserting interlining.
- Inserting your lining.
- Calculations for rings and safety orbs.
- Child safety regulations and track options.
- Completing your sample with a contrast trim and/or other trimmings.
- Estimating fabric quantities for larger projects, plain/patterned fabrics.
- Discussions regarding suppliers for professional materials.
Course Programme Download
What should I bring?
All course fees are inclusive of specialist materials, training notes, refreshments and a light lunch.
You will need to bring:
1m Face Fabric
- Any fabric of your choice suitable for making curtains and blinds.
- We recommend not using upholstery fabric, delicate fabrics or fabrics with a loose weave as these can cause dynamics that may want to be avoided when making your first cushions.
Thread to match your face fabric
- There will be some places where matching thread will be essential for a neat finish
1m of lining
- We recommend 100% cotton.
1m of interlining
- We recommend 100% cotton
Personal sewing Kit
- All specialist materials will be provided but it’s nice to have your own scissors and needles etc…
- We have a couple of sewing machines available, but do bring your own if you wish.
Course runs each day from 10:am – 5pm, with a break for lunch +/- 1pm – 2pm
What should I Bring Download